New workstations and a new relationship
HOK had purchased all their hardware from Dell™ for 18 years. But one VP was fed up with his heavy, unreliable Dell system. Seeking another option, he tried a Lenovo® mobile workstation—and loved it so much that he opened the door and recommended the rest of HOK use Lenovo ThinkPad® workstations.
Building the Team
After Dell disappointed HOK, we wanted to offer them world-class customer service. We sent a dream team to their New York office:
- The Vertical Marketing Manager for AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction), to address industry-specific needs
- A Field Technical Sales Specialist, to handle technical questions and support services
- An Account Manager, to advocate for HOK and serve as a single point of contact
- The Head of Workstation Sales, to discuss the capabilities of Lenovo workstations
Upgrading to the Thinkpad P50s
The HOK IT manager and CAD manager were intrigued by the solutions Lenovo presented. Seeing the entire Lenovo portfolio proved just how much they could benefit by moving
away from Dell. As a first step, they chose a new mobile workstation for their architects: the Lenovo ThinkPad P50s.
Graphics purpose-built for detail
With its strong processing power and world-class NVIDIA® Quadro® graphics, the ThinkPad P50s can easily display detailed architecture models and run Autodesk® Revit®, which the HOK architects use every day. The architects also reported more graphics card stability since switching from the AMD-powered Dell systems.
Hours of battery life for unpredictable days
HOK architects are always on the go, from their desks to meetings around campus to field locations. The thin, light ThinkPad P50s is easy to carry while still offering a 15.6" screen and up to 20 hours of battery life, so you don’t have to drag around a power pack.
Compare that to the Dell Precision™ 5510, which provides a significantly shorter battery life…at a more expensive price point.
A modern technology partner
Architects love the ThinkPad P50s. When HOK IT gets requests for even more powerful systems, they now recommend the ThinkPad P50—a cousin of the ThinkPad P50s with even more processing power—instead of a competitor system.
Today, as a trusted vendor at HOK, Lenovo is the exclusive provider of mobile workstations for all 23 offices across the globe.
A partnership to build on
Using a comprehensive, personal approach and our strong product portfolio, we kicked Dell mobile workstations out of HOK.
Dell only offered hardware. With Lenovo, HOK gains a technology partner who understands their business and will help them explore all their options with each new challenge, moving with them into the future of the industry.
Opening the door
To make this sale, we brought a dedicated team of specialists to our meetings. We showed the wide range of our portfolio. And most importantly, we listened to our customer’s frustrations, needs, and goals.
This strategy worked at HOK, and it can work at other AEC firms around the globe. Click a company below to start learning about your next customer.
Lenovo ThinkPad P50s
Workstation graphics performance with Ultrabook™ mobility
- NVIDIA® Quadro® M500M GPU with 2GB VRAM
- 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processors
- Thin and light for easy mobility
- MIL-SPEC tested and built for maximum durability
- ISV certified to ensure excellent performance for your most demanding applications
- 15.6" 3K LCD display with wide viewing angles and anti-glare
- Touchscreen option for a more interactive experience
All-day battery life
- Energy-efficient GPUs enable up to 20 hours of battery life to keep you working on the go
- Power Bridge technology lets you swap out one of the two batteries for a fresh, fully charged battery without ever shutting down