When working from home for long hours each day, it's important to create a comfortable environment. Computer screens, TVs and smartphones emit blue-light that can damage our health. Studies show that without taking preventative steps, it can cause accelerated fatigue, eye strain, insomnia, and even contribute to retinal damage.
Control exposure to blue-light
- We recommend users check their PC to see if it has settings to combat eye strain. For example, most Lenovo devices include Lenovo Vantage settings which includes an Eye Care Mode that reduces blue light emissions.
- Use a monitor that has an antiglare panel for reduced reflections and is Eye Comfort and Low Blue Light certified by a renowned third-party like TÜV Rheinland.
Ergonomics isn’t just theory
Using a reasonably large monitor is recommended, even for laptop users, as it not only provides more screen space, but encourages users to lean back. But according to ergonomics expert Dr. Alan Hedge, “If the monitor is too low, you will crane your neck forwards, if it’s too high you will tilt your head backwards and end up with neck or shoulder pain." To find the right position, sit back with your chair slightly reclined and hold your right arm out horizontally - your middle finger should almost touch the centre of the screen. At this position you can see the screen more clearly because humans have a greater visual field below the horizon, rather than above.
- Accessories such as the Lenovo Adjustable Notebook Stand raise the laptop to the optimal viewing angle that is far superior to the tiltability of the screen. Optimal angles prevent strain and save from neck and backaches.
- A mounting arm for an external monitor allows a higher degree of flexibility in selecting the best viewing angle. It can support even large monitor sizes and can be installed on almost any desk without damaging it, with a simple clamping mechanism.
- For long hours of work, a laptop’s touchpad and keyboard won’t be nearly as comfortable as an external mouse and keyboard.
Pay attention to neatness
- Research shows that cluttered environments can affect work speed and quality. Accessories like a USB-C or Thunderbolt-enabled dock create one, multi-functional connection to the PC, reducing the need for cables.
- Get the monitor up off the desk using equipment such as the Lenovo Adjustable height arm. These create extra space and increase comfort too.
Finally, nobody should feel bad about taking regular breaks when working at home. Taking time to give eyes a rest, or even virtually ‘bump into a colleague’ for a catch up online, can help improve productivity and well-being.