When deploying new devices in your institution, you probably don't need a vast range of pre-installed apps and limited-trial programs that you didn't ask for. This 'bloatware' wastes time when provisioning and can create vulnerabilities and slow performance.
When purchasing new devices, it's important to check which manufacturers have a clear policy on minimizing the number of preloaded applications.
Devices with Cleaner Preloads Set You Up for Success
Devices that come with fewer preloaded apps—also known as a clean preload—can benefit your IT team and your institution in several important ways:
- Performance: Cleaner devices help improve performance by reducing boot times and improving battery life because many preloads include hidden and unnecessary processes that overload the processor and memory. Independent testing by Microsoft shows that devices with significantly fewer preloaded apps average 28 minutes longer battery life than devices with exactly the same configuration but more preloaded apps*.
- Deployment Time: Clean preloads allow for quicker deployment to end users and frees up your IT team for other priorities.
- Choice: IT teams can select and control preferred applications for installation. Users can personalize their device without having to delete unwanted apps.
Committed to Minimizing Preloaded Applications
At Lenovo, we're committed to reducing the number of preloaded apps across all devices to help you save time, increase productivity and provide better user experiences.
- In the past four years Lenovo has removed between 75% and 90% of preloaded applications, depending on device.
- As an industry leader, Lenovo business devices now come with only three to six preloaded applications plus the Windows 10 standard preload.
- The pre-loaded apps we include are of true value to our customers. For example, Lenovo Vantage helps you easily customize settings, migrate or transfer files, update software and drivers, run diagnostics and more.
*Microsoft testing showed overall improvements in the PCs running cleaner preloads compared to those without. The tests were done on exact same make/model of PCs with identical hardware configuration. Displayed differences are averages across seven PCs from seven different PC manufacturers. Actual PC battery life may vary.