When it comes to providing teams with the right equipment to do their jobs, one-size doesn't fit all. It’s critical that devices are well-suited to the type of work an employee does; to empower productivity, streamline processes and improve the customer experience.
Categorize End Users to Determine the Best Device for the Job
Considering types of work end users perform, and where they do it from, will help you map out the right device strategy to balance needs and cost.
Non-mobile Users: For employees who mostly work at a desk/stationary location—with limited/no travel—many device types are suitable, including: laptops, AIO (all-in-one), desktops, etc. For example, for nurses in hot-desk situations, laptops make sense, while customer-facing roles such as a receptionist, office manager or therapist, would benefit more from AIO devices.
Mobile Users: It's important to understand the type of mobility the job demands. At Lenovo we classify mobility broadly into internal and external mobility.
- Internal mobility refers to employees who are in and out of meetings, move across office locations, or hospital campus; like executive leadership, doctors, or project managers. These people need the power and functionality to work on-on-the go, capture patient data, and develop and present information. Flexible 2-in-1s and lightweight and long-lasting ultrabooks are ideal choice for them.
- External mobility refers to employees who need to be in the field for most of their day; Business development managers, case managers, medical/pharmaceutical sales etc the kind of devices they need should be light, sleek, with long battery life and good durability. Tablets and ultra sleek laptops fit this category well.
Advanced Users: Radiologists/medical technologists/research associates/etc.—require high-performance devices, multi-monitor set-ups and specialized applications/software. Examine your advanced users. Is everyone at a desk? Working on the go? Both? With increasing numbers of this user group, multiple options can create an ideal work environment that fits everyone’s needs:
- Workstations: run powerful applications with efficiency/speed/stability that easily adjust to work load changes.
- Desktops: provide ease-of-use, reliability and powerful productivity in a range of energy-efficient form factors.
- Notebooks: enable and enhance mobility and flexibility without compromising power and performance.