As more media and entertainment companies invest in virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR), the market for 3D immersive content continues to grow. In 2016, VR/AR investments by media companies grew by 137%, according to CB Insights. The VR content creation market alone is expected to reach $41billion by 2024.
While this level of growth presents a promising revenue stream for media and entertainment companies, it also means production challenges for IT. Content creators need modern business-grade PCs for data-intensive, storage-straining tasks such as 4K video transcoding, video stitching, game development and more.
Equipping 3D Content Creators for Success
Content creators and game developers have always been advanced users. After all, how can they build premium experiences without premium technology? But VR and AR production calls for even more powerful systems that include:
- Dual-processing power: systems such as the ThinkStation P Series feature the latest generation of Intel® Xeon® processors that provide the superior I/O necessary for rendering 3D video.
- Storage for advanced workloads: producing 3D experiences requires 10-20X more storage than standard HD video. A multi-terabyte combination of responsive solid-state drives (SSDs) and high-capacity hard-disk drives (HDDs) is optimal for handling VR and AR video data.
- Windows 10 Pro for Workstations: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations supports devices with persistent or non-volatile memory so you can speed through advanced workloads with the fastest data storage possible on workstations.
- ISV-certified application performance: Lenovo Workstations are either certified or are undergoing certification from premier creative suites, including Adobe, Autodesk, Avid Technologies, PIXAR and many more.
- Next-level graphics processing: Lenovo Workstations can be ordered with NVIDIA® GeForce or Quadro GPUs already installed, serviced and guaranteed.
- Intel® Optane™ memory: this system accelerator can drive overall performance up to 28% faster—without compromising the storage capacity your creative applications and video files demand.*
*SYSmark 2014 SE (Overall Score)